The Fairytale Series by Tyler Shields
Tyler Shields has often referred to his process as an artist as, “finding a way to create a fantasy and let imagination take over.” This sentiment is especially true in his latest release, The Fairytale Series, where he combines reality and fantasy.
Often times viewers look at these ethereal pieces and fall under the assumption that Photoshop or special effects have been applied, yet Shields makes it a point to create every scene from scratch. A great example of this is his work, The Tipping Point, where the model who appears to be floating has actually entered that position, and the photograph was shot at just the right moment to create a surreal effect.
Beyond the scenery, the artist makes it a point to work with people that will take on the characters of his photoshoots, truly creating a whole new world for viewers to get lost in. The believable aspect of the photographic story are down to the persona the characters take on within the pictures.
In his most recent print, Into the Fog, the artist explores the concept that love and photographs are similar in that they both freeze time, and later leave you to either relish the moment or hate it. The dramatic lighting in the image almost looks painterly, which Shields references, stating, “Film allows you to paint with light as though the camera is a brush and the concept is an unlimited stream of oil paint.”
- Tyler Shields: The Art of Ballet
- Tyler Shields: The Dirty Side of Glamour
- Tyler Shields: Beyond the Set
- Making Headlines: Tyler Shields
- Tyler Shields and Guy Hepner Collaborate on Armory Print Release
- Limited Edition Paint Series by Tyler Shields
- Tyler Shields alongside Richard Avedon
- Addiction by Tyler Shields
- Tyler Shields’ Homage to Andy Warhol
- Tyler Shields Presents Provocateur
- Tyler Shields does Pride
- Tyler Shields: Decadence Series
- Tyler Shields Chromatic Collection
- Tyler Shields Historical Fiction
- Tyler Shields Summer 2015 Collection
- Sirens by Tyler Shields