Paintings by POSE
Paintings by POSE
A popular Graffiti artists, POSE turned to painting. His attempt at making sense of the environment around him started with graffiti, and has matured into a body of work with multiple dimensions and layers that are a pop blend of illustration, lettering and comic book aesthetics.
“My artwork is pretty cut and dry,” POSE says. “I’m taking from the world around me – whether it be bits of signs, or my wife’s old, childhood books.”While his work relies on harnessing very simple human emotions like love, loss, and triumph, it’s presented in a complex union of vivid colors and layered application which aims for something much more profound than is at the literal, surface level.
About the Artist:
Pose (Jordan Nickel) was born in 1980 in Evanston, Illinois, and is currently based in Chicago. He began practicing graffiti in 1992 and received a painting degree from Kansas City Art Institute in 2004. His studio work is strongly informed by his graffiti experience and his immersion in traditional sign painting. Pose is a member of The Seventh Letter, an acclaimed West Coast artist collective and Mad Society Kings (MSK), a world-renowned graffiti crew. Pose has painted murals all over the world. In 2013, he and fellow MSK artist REVOK were invited to collaborate on a mural for the illustrious Houston/Bowery wall in conjunction with their first two-person exhibition at Jonathan LeVine Gallery.
Named “One to Watch” by CNN in 2015 as part of their international television series that shined a light on up-and-coming creative talent set to be the next big names in culture, modern pop artist, POSE, has been applauded for his inventive ability to take every day, throw-away things and introduce them into the world to communicate something much deeper.
- Andy Warhol: Reigning Queens
- Roy Lichtenstein: The Female Evolution
- A Conversation with Tania Marmolejo
- Philippe Shangti: Staged Glamour
- Roy Lichtenstein: Early Career Works
- A Brief History of Fashion Photography
- Andy Warhol: Electric Chair Portfolio
- The Yosemite Suite by David Hockney
- Banksy: Early Prints
- Introducing Thomas Agrinier
- Blek Le Rat: The Artist is Present
- Introducing Julian Opie
- A Conversation with Vincent Chung
- Robert Mapplethorpe: Light and Dark
- Jonas Wood: Multiples of Three
- An Interview with James Joyce
- Yayoi Kusama: Infinity
- The Tax Collection: 2018 Curatorial Residency
- Andy Warhol’s Campbell Soup Cans
- Damien Hirst Does Mickey Mouse
- Tim Bessell x Andy Warhol Surfboards
- Clairvoyance Exhibition
- Bruce Makowsky and the Art of Luxury
- Legendary Andy Warhol at Guy Hepner
- Roy Lichtenstein at Guy Hepner